Prep Time: 15 Mins
Cook Time: 30 Mins
Total Time: 45 Mins
¼ cup of butter
¼ cup of flour
½ cup of diced onion
½ cup of diced celery
8 cups of chicken stock (Depending on thickness)
1 cup of cooked and diced okra
½ cup of cooked and diced chicken
½ cup of diced andouille sausage
½ cup of cubed ham
14.5-ounces diced tomatoes
½ tsp cajun seasoning
salt, to taste
1 tsp gumbo file
4 cups of cooked New Orleans style filthy rice (you can also use white or brown rice)
Green onions for garnish
1. Dissolve butter in a large stockpot over a low heat. Add the flour and stir occasionally for 12-15 minutes, or
until the mixture turns a caramel color.
2. Set the heat to medium-high and stir in the celery and onions. Cook for approximately 5 minutes, or until
the veggies soften.
3. Now stir in chicken broth one cup at a time, preventing ingredients from clumping. Cook for ten minutes.
4. Add the other ingredients, with the exception of the gumbo file, rice, and green onions, and return to a
5. Put the gumbo file in. To blend, stir.
6. Add half a cup of rice to each bowl of soup, then top with green onions.
1. You may use cornstarch as a stand-in for gumbo file if you don’t have any by combining 1 tsp of cornstarch
with 1 tsp of water and adding it to the soup