Prep Time: 25 Mins
Cook Time: 50 Mins
Total Time: 1 Hrs 15 Mins
1½ cups of unsalted butter, room temperature
3 cups of granulated sugar
5 eggs, room temperature
2 cups of all-purpose flour
1¼ cup of dutch-processed cocoa
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 cup of buttermilk
¼ cup of water
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the topping
¼ cup of granulated sugar
¾ tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of ground ginger
Pinch of ground cloves
¼ cup of sugar sparkles, for decorating
1. Set the oven to 350 °F. Prepare two 9-by-5-inch loaf pans by lining them with enough parchment paper to
extend over the edges on all sides.
2. Mix all topping ingredients in a small dish, EXCEPT the sparkling sugar. Set aside the topping mixture.
3. Combine the flour, cocoa, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and baking powder in a large bowl. Combine by
whisking. Place aside.
4. Mix butter and sugar for two minutes, or until they are light and fluffy, in the bowl of a stand mixer using
the paddle attachment. After that, add eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition.
5. Combine buttermilk, water, and vanilla essence in a separate bowl.
6. Add the ingredients to the bowl of the stand mixer, alternating between the dry mixture and the buttermilk mixture, while mixing at a low speed. Mix items well until combined. You might need to scrape the bowl’s sides down once or twice.
7. Spread the batter evenly between the two loaf pans. Then, top the two loaves with the sparkling sugar after
dividing the topping mixture between them.
8. Cook for 45-50 minutes (or longer). Check the bread’s doneness by sticking a toothpick through the center
of it. The bread is done when a toothpick put into the center comes out clean.
9. Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Then, pull the bread from the pan using the parchment
paper and cool thoroughly on a wire cooling rack. After cooling, slice.
10. Store for up to five days in an airtight container