Prep Time: 20 Mins
Cook Time: 1 Hrs 30 Mins
Total Time: 1 Hrs 50 Mins
1 pound stewing beef, chop into medium chunks
3 tbsp divided vegetable oil
Salt and pepper to taste
½ cup of flour
1 chopped onion
4 medium potatoes cut into chunks
5 carrots peeled and cut into chunks
2 large turnips cut into chunks
1 quart beef stock high quality
1 beef bouillon cube
3 sprigs fresh thyme or ¼ tsp dried
¼ cup of ketchup
1 cup of peas
1. Toss the meat with the flour after seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
2. Add 2 tbsp of oil to a big saucepan and brown meat in flour over medium heat, adding all of the flour.
3. Stir often so that the flour and meat do not burn but brown beautifully. Placing the meat on a platter.
4. Add the remaining tbsp of oil and sauté the onion until transparent, scraping off any browned pieces from
5. Add the potatoes, turnips, and carrots to the saucepan along with the meat. Add the ketchup, thyme, and
stock. To blend, thoroughly stir.
6. For 1½ hours, simmer over low heat while frequently stirring. the seasoning. If using fresh thyme, remove
7. Just before serving, add the frozen peas. Stir to thaw, then serve.